My Traveling Shoes

Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality.
I've traveled so many miles in shoes that someone else bought for me, plain, poorly fitted, worn, second hand, hand me downs. Ohh, they hurt my feet and took me places that I didn't need to go, places that I didn't want to go. For many years I put them on. I was told it was my duty, but my heart was heavy and my cares so many.
Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality. I bought these shoes. I own these shoes. They are mine.
by Jeanne leigh...copyrighted...2007


JOIN ME ON MY ECLECTIC JOURNEY.....

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Respecting Ourselves

"Nothing can work damage to me except myself; the harm that I sustain I carry about with me and never am a real sufferer except by my own fault." ~(Ralph Waldo Emerson:Essay on Compensation)


He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce. ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

It seems some of my worst enemies are those that lie (yes lie!) within me. My critics. Harsh voices from my childhood and fundamentalist faith of my youth. I have without realizing it, internalized these voices. Some of these people aren't even in this world anymore, but their attitudes and words have ruled alot of my past. I tease my husband sometimes saying, I want to live in the land of love. I simply mean that I want all of that to cease. This stuff in my head that goes on...the belittling of myself, the harshness can certainly rob the joy and life right out of me. I want to think of I Corinthians 13 that instructs me to believe the best, yes, even of myself...love is patient, and kind, never harsh.....etc. One day at a time, I am seeking to choose this, to defer to this. I want to truly love and accept myself...just as I am. It is my responsibility to seek this love and respect, to be open and I believe that as I do this, more and more I will recognize those critics and turn away from them just as I would someone speaking harmful, harsh things about any friend I have or better yet, one of my children. No way would I put up with that. Ha! Yes, I want to live in the land of love, by God's grace I will seek this today and each day that I am given.

No comments: