My Traveling Shoes

Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality.
I've traveled so many miles in shoes that someone else bought for me, plain, poorly fitted, worn, second hand, hand me downs. Ohh, they hurt my feet and took me places that I didn't need to go, places that I didn't want to go. For many years I put them on. I was told it was my duty, but my heart was heavy and my cares so many.
Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality. I bought these shoes. I own these shoes. They are mine.
by Jeanne leigh...copyrighted...2007


JOIN ME ON MY ECLECTIC JOURNEY.....

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Love Thyself




Once when I was studying to be a Spiritual Director, we were asked to take some time and meditate on Psalms 23:5a "You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies:" and to then prayerfully and thoughtfully list the enemies in our lives. I was blown away when I got done, because in doing that exercise I came to realize that the majority of enemies in my life were truly things within my own self. Things such as fear, anxiety, poor self image, inferiority, unforgiveness..etc. were the greatest enemies of my soul. I have been using a daily devotion called Radical Grace by Richard Rohr. When I read this meditation, I thought of that experience that I had during those classes. I want to share his meditation with you.

Richard Rohr says, 

There is no way that you can love until you forgive yourself for not being perfect, for not being the saint you thought you were going to be. To use Franciscan imagery, until you've leapt across the chasm and embraced the leper, until you have recognized that really the leper is not on the other side of the chasm but the leper is, first of all, the leper within, you won't really know your passion, or be capable of com-passion.


Compassion comes from a spacious place where a lot of things are put together and coexist, where we recognize, forgive and make friends with the enemy within. There is nothing you hate, there is nothing you fear over there in other people that you haven't met and forgiven in your own soul. The passionate struggle with your own shadow becomes compassion for the struggles of our neighbor.

This certainly rings true in my life. I think this is a major part of our call as humans, to truly know, forgive, embrace and befriend all of ourselves so that we have the power to do that for our neighbor.  Jeanne

1 comment:

Syd said...

Compassion for others has been a great gift of this program.