My Traveling Shoes

Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality.
I've traveled so many miles in shoes that someone else bought for me, plain, poorly fitted, worn, second hand, hand me downs. Ohh, they hurt my feet and took me places that I didn't need to go, places that I didn't want to go. For many years I put them on. I was told it was my duty, but my heart was heavy and my cares so many.
Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality. I bought these shoes. I own these shoes. They are mine.
by Jeanne leigh...copyrighted...2007


JOIN ME ON MY ECLECTIC JOURNEY.....

Friday, May 13, 2011

Bloom Where You are Planted

 Yesterday evening I walked home from work. It was rather warm and I was carrying my purse, lunchbox, and briefcase so I was glad it was just over half a mile. As I passed the service station I glanced at the creek that runs along the side of it and saw the prettiest colored flowers along the bank there. I decided to go home and get my camera and take a few photos of these flowers. As I did I also took pictures of this and that along the way. I began thinking about Nancy R. Campion’s famous quote “Bloom where you are planted.” I was remembering how wonderful some places have been for “Jeanne” blooming and other places that left a lot to be desired. I feel I have tried my best to “bloom” wherever I have landed.

I came across these weeds and grasses growing out of the cement around this water cap in the parking lot down the road. In certain places that I have lived/worked I identified with how these weeds/plants look. Cramped, lacking nutrients, struggling to live well, to find and express my gifts, to be myself. Feeling stuck, not a good place to flourish. At times it felt nearly impossible.

We are all so different. It’s possible for a certain type of person to flourish in a given situation and in the same situation another person begins to die inside. I guess that is why it is important if at all possible to choose our environments carefully. Sometimes it isn’t possible. However, we must seek to make the best of all our situations.


This is the picture of the flowers I saw out of the corner of my eye. I wish I’d had a more powerful lens to get a close up. The picture didn’t do the flowers justice. They are lovely, quietly blooming by the creek with the pleasant sound of the water going by. Even with the bits of trash cluttered here and there they caught the eye of this passerby. Silently blooming and being their best, I was drawn to stop and enjoy their beauty. Lifted by their color and fragrance, these beautiful flowers stirred me to reflect on higher things.


 Later before bed, I ran across this quote that said it all, everything I had been thinking about. “It's vital to be growing through your life rather than going through your life. The object is not to change other people or situations; it's to do the inner work they stimulate“. ~ Wally Amos


So, I guess I will end with this: May we find the best places for our souls to bloom and if and when those times, places and situations aren’t all we’d like them to be, may we remember the inner work that can be done even then. Peace, Jeanne

                                                                            

1 comment:

Adam Bogle said...

Excellent post Jeanne! Given time and proper nutrients, teh most insignifigan plants will overtake an crumble the greatest of structures...
Amazing what a little "life" will do 8^)