My Traveling Shoes

Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality.
I've traveled so many miles in shoes that someone else bought for me, plain, poorly fitted, worn, second hand, hand me downs. Ohh, they hurt my feet and took me places that I didn't need to go, places that I didn't want to go. For many years I put them on. I was told it was my duty, but my heart was heavy and my cares so many.
Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality. I bought these shoes. I own these shoes. They are mine.
by Jeanne leigh...copyrighted...2007


JOIN ME ON MY ECLECTIC JOURNEY.....

Thursday, April 5, 2012

We Go This Way But Once

Often I find myself asking, “What does love look like in this situation?” How can I best love this person? ” There is a fine line sometimes between knowing what or what not to do. My prayer is often, “How can I support my friend without being an enabler?” “When do I need to act and when do I need to let go.” Love is not an easy task. Love requires fortitude. Love requires patience and listening. Love requires a true desire to make peace and be helpful. I’ve come a long way from being a “fixer and rescuer” which was not truly love. My intentions were to show love, but my actions often hindered growth and healing for myself and the other person. I love the quote by Eric Fromm, “Love is union with somebody, or something, outside oneself, under the condition of retaining the separateness and integrity of one's own self.” Boundaries are very important. Respect is big part of human love as well.

I don’t know about you but my life is so busy and full that I find it is NECESSARY to MAKE times of reflection and creativity. How else are we to begin to understand what is needed? Our souls must have a time for listening for seeking quiet wisdom.  We must open our hearts and quiet our minds DAILY to be ready to meet the situations and experiences of our day. We are all HUMAN and need not pretend to be anything else, but being human is a beautiful thing when we seek to be our best, when we seek to love.

We make a lot of mistakes and must make amends as soon as we realize them.  I love this quote by the Dalai Lama, “If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.” Sometimes we harm without meaning to. As soon as we see this, we must seek to make amends. This life is a beautiful journey that we must take seriously;  absorbing and retaining the lessons of each day and at the same time take lightly enough to enjoy the laughter, beauty, and fun of each day as well. We must seek to find this balance.

Here is a little poem found in a book by K. Quinn Lewis (1943) WE GO THIS WAY BUT ONCE:

We go this way but once, Oh heart of mine
So why not make the journey well worthwhile
Giving to those who travel with us
A helping hand, a word of cheer, a smile?

We go this way but once, Ah never more
Can we go back along the self same way?
To get more out of life, undo the wrongs,
or speak love's words we knew but did not say.

We go this way but once, then let us make
The road we travel blossomy and sweet
With helpful, kindly deeds and tender words
smoothing the path of bruised and stumbling feet.

Let us make time to be still. Let us seek to listen to our lives. Thanks for stopping by. Until next time…PEACE. With love, Jeanne

No comments: