My Traveling Shoes

Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality.
I've traveled so many miles in shoes that someone else bought for me, plain, poorly fitted, worn, second hand, hand me downs. Ohh, they hurt my feet and took me places that I didn't need to go, places that I didn't want to go. For many years I put them on. I was told it was my duty, but my heart was heavy and my cares so many.
Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality. I bought these shoes. I own these shoes. They are mine.
by Jeanne leigh...copyrighted...2007


JOIN ME ON MY ECLECTIC JOURNEY.....

Monday, August 27, 2012

Time is Passing.....


Painting by Jeanne Denton
Time passes so quickly. What is happening within us as it passes? Are we growing? Are we deepening as human beings? Are we caring for our soul, spirit, mind, and body?

 In Sue Monk Kidd’s book Firstlight in a chapter entitled Compassion she tells a story of how when she was twelve years old, on the last day of summer while her friends were spending the day swimming, her mother insisted she go with the youth group to visit some elderly folks in a nursing home. Kidd was not happy about this and as she entered the room she said, “…I stood before this ancient looking woman, holding a bouquet of crepe paper flowers. Everything about her saddened me—the worn down face, the lop-sided grin, the tendrils of gray hair protruding from a crocheted lavender cap.” Kidd said, “She thrust the bouquet at her. The old woman looked at her with a look that pierced her to the marrow of her twelve year old bones. Then the woman asked her, “You didn’t want to come, did you child?” Kidd replied, “Oh yes, I wanted to come.” The woman knew better. Kidd writes, “A smile lifted her crooked mouth, “It’s okay” the old woman said, “You can’t force the heart.”
 
Kidd never forgot this and she goes on to say:
Compassion, which is the very life of God within us, comes through a slow and often difficult metamorphosis deep within the human soul. It happens through a process.

 If we look closely at the workings of creation, we find that God nearly always works through process. Think of it. First there is a seed then a sprout, then a blossom, and finally fruit.

God does not begin with a butterfly, but with a larva that becomes a chrysalis and finally a creature with wings.

Neither does God speak a star into existence, but sends dust floating into space, then interstellar gas that slowly heats up and eons later a star is formed.

Perhaps most mysterious of all is the unfolding of ovum, fetus, baby, child, adolescent, adult.

The universe is designed to move stage by stage, from incompletion to completion. Now why should we suppose that God has designed the heart any differently than the rest of creation? It too has its stages.

 I connected so much with what Kidd says. I truly believe that compassion and love and all the deeply spiritual fruits and gifts are developed and grown through such a process. We are all works in progress.
 
I came across this lovely piece by Pierre Tielhard de Chardin: 

 “Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything
to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something
unknown, something new.
And yet it is the law of all progress
that it is made by passing through
some stages of instability—
and that it may take a very long time.
And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually—let them grow,
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
Don’t try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances
acting on your own good will)
will make of you tomorrow.

Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give Our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.”

 
Let us continue on with our hearts seeking love, compassion, truth, and wisdom trusting in the process. Til next time...thanks for stopping by! Peace, Jeanne  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your last sentence resonated within my spirit. I feel that I have been in a state of limbo, and incomplete with no apparent direction for a long time now. As I continue to exist in the place that I am in, it is so easy for my tiny human mind to assume that I have been forgotten. Then He reminds me that He is still leading me when I find little passages like this that hit home. Thank you for sharing. Cat