My Traveling Shoes

Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality.
I've traveled so many miles in shoes that someone else bought for me, plain, poorly fitted, worn, second hand, hand me downs. Ohh, they hurt my feet and took me places that I didn't need to go, places that I didn't want to go. For many years I put them on. I was told it was my duty, but my heart was heavy and my cares so many.
Done found myself a new pair of travelin' shoes to wear on this leg of my journey. Handmade to fit and suit me just right, supportin' and comfortin' me each step of the way.They are wild and colorful as I chose them to be, they suit my personality. I bought these shoes. I own these shoes. They are mine.
by Jeanne leigh...copyrighted...2007


JOIN ME ON MY ECLECTIC JOURNEY.....

Thursday, December 6, 2012

TODAY


The last few years I have become so aware of the importance of living in the present moment. For anyone this is a difficult task. My Christian faith teaches me, “Therefore I tell you don’t worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more then clothing? Look at the birds of the air, they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he much more clothe you—you of little faith?” (Matthew 6:25-30) “So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” (Matthew 6:34) These are beautiful passages that have been so meaningful to me throughout the years.
 
To this I have added the “practices” of Thich Nhat Hanh who has wonderful ways, methods for putting "mindfulness" into practice. He uses brief sentence meditations to focus on simple things. Example:"In the morning when you wash your face, think of how amazing it is to have water from a faucet, be grateful, pray for those who do not...think of where the water came from. He encourages us to focus on each task and try to be present to it. Another way to "practice" being in the present is by becoming aware of your breathing if you find yourself running off into worry or thoughts of yesterday's regrets, or fears of tomorrow. I love his teachings and practice them often. His books bring much peace to me.

The words of Rumi and Hafiz speak to my heart and have a very calming affect. Music does that as well. I often think of the young David playing his harp for Saul and soothing the rage that tormented him. Music can have a powerful affect upon our hearts.

I want to share a wonderful piece that has meant the world to me. It is written by Frederick Buechner. I saw it for the first time many years ago in his book “Listening to Your Life”.

TODAY

It is a moment of light surrounded on all sides by darkness and oblivion. In the entire history of the universe, let alone in your own history, there has never been another just like it and there never will be another just like it again. It is the point to which all your yesterdays have been leading since the hour of your birth. It is the point from which all your tomorrows will proceed until the hour of your death. If you were aware of how precious it is, you could hardly live through it. Unless you are aware of how precious it is, you can hardly be said to be living at all.

 

“This is the day which the Lord has made, says the 118th Psalm. “Let us Rejoice and be glad in it.” Or weep and be sad in it for that matter. The point is to see it for what it is because it will be gone before you know it. IF you waste it, it is your life that you are wasting. If you look the other way, it may be the moment you’ve been waiting for and always missing.

 

All other days have either disappeared into darkness and oblivion or not yet emerged from them. Today is the only day there is. ~ Frederick Buechner “Listening to Your Life”

Thanks for stopping by! Have a beautiful TODAY! Til next time....PEACE, Jeanne

No comments: